Sunday, December 11, 2005

Comparison Shopping

We have our Christmas tree up now and on the lower branches that Sierra can reach we've put the ornaments that it's ok for her to take off the tree and play with. Some days she will go grab one, play with it until she's bored and then go for a different one. Other days she'll crawl methodically around the whole tree pulling off all the ones she can reach until she has a small heap in front of her. Then she'll play with them and bang them together, etc.

She is especially keen on a set of star-shaped ornaments--there are several in different colors. The other day she made a bee-line for the blue star, took it off the tree, and then started working her way around the tree. Every ornament she came to she would look at it carefully, look down at the star in her other hand and then keep moving. She kept on around the tree until she got to the purple star that was like the one in her hand. Then she grabbed that one down and was so proud of herself that she had BOTH of the star ornaments!

This goes in line with something I had noticed a couple of days ago. Whenever I read books to her, at certain points she always wants to turn the book back to the cover (and then usually take a chew on it!) I usually figure she just had a bored moment and wanted to play with the book rather than read it, but then I noticed that there was more rhyme and reason to it than that. I got clued in when we were reading a particular book that has a picture on the cover, and then that same picture appears about 8 pages into the book. She realizes that it's the same picture and wants to compare them! Since then I've been paying more attention and it's quite intentional how she compares the images. How soon do you think we can bust out those "Memory" card games?? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home