Critic
This morning I told Sierra that it was Tuesday, and so we would go to storytime at the library (as is our usual custom). After a bit of a pensive moment, she announced that she didn't really want to go to storytime today, that she would like to go the Art Museum. We've taken her to art museums elsewhere, but for whatever reason, we haven't really gone to the one here (I think every time we go to the Carnegie with her, we end up in the dinosaur exhibit, probably). So I'm not sure where she got the idea, but I figured hey, let's strike while the iron is hot! The Carnegie International is going right now, which is an extravaganza of contemporary art from all over the world--this year's theme is "Life on Mars"--and I really wanted to see this exhibit anyway, so I was excited about the prospect.
I explained to her about art museums, as it has been awhile since she went to one (I don't think she really had a firm grasp of it at all) complete with explaining that although we would enjoy it very much, it was not a place that she could just run around and be noisy and play. She still seemed very keen on going, so we packed up and headed out. And true to her word, she was absolutely as good as gold while we were there. Some of the installations that involved walking into darkened rooms were freaky to her, and so we didn't see everything in the exhibit, but she had definite opinions about everything we saw and it was really fun to see it from her perspective, as much as I could.
At one installation I had picked her up so that she could see better, which meant that I had to park the stroller for a second. Evelyn had been totally content up until that moment, just soaking it all in, but she did not like her vehicle to stall like that and she let out a bit of a piercing shriek. In response, I said something to her in a voice that was probably a bit louder than I had been using to speak with Sierra. Sierra immediately looked at me and said, "Shh... you can't talk in here!" I admitted that I had probably used a louder voice than I needed to, and that we should probably keep our voices down in the museum. Sierra said, "Well, baby is not keeping her voice down!"
I explained to her about art museums, as it has been awhile since she went to one (I don't think she really had a firm grasp of it at all) complete with explaining that although we would enjoy it very much, it was not a place that she could just run around and be noisy and play. She still seemed very keen on going, so we packed up and headed out. And true to her word, she was absolutely as good as gold while we were there. Some of the installations that involved walking into darkened rooms were freaky to her, and so we didn't see everything in the exhibit, but she had definite opinions about everything we saw and it was really fun to see it from her perspective, as much as I could.
At one installation I had picked her up so that she could see better, which meant that I had to park the stroller for a second. Evelyn had been totally content up until that moment, just soaking it all in, but she did not like her vehicle to stall like that and she let out a bit of a piercing shriek. In response, I said something to her in a voice that was probably a bit louder than I had been using to speak with Sierra. Sierra immediately looked at me and said, "Shh... you can't talk in here!" I admitted that I had probably used a louder voice than I needed to, and that we should probably keep our voices down in the museum. Sierra said, "Well, baby is not keeping her voice down!"
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home